After thirty years of teaching Soc 119 I’ve come to the conclusion that the primary goal for the course should be to help you ask new questions about race and culture and conflict and power and other matters of interest. So here’s where we are:
ASSIGNMENT: Each week you will first respond to a video that was posted from the live stream during the previous two weeks of class. Next you will respond to a classmate’s discussion post of the live stream that you find interesting and who has been assigned to your “discussion board group.”
To be clear, we’ll be making videos from the live stream footage after each class and get them posted as quickly as possible. We’ll post them on the class web site (not Canvas). You will then go to the Discussion Board on Canvas that will open on Monday mornings and close SUNDAYS @ 11:59 pm.
You’ll respond to members of your assigned Video Response group and NOT people in your weekly discussion group.
- Go to www.soc119.org (Links to an external site.) and select the video clip on the left-hand side of the page that you would like to discuss in your post. (It MUST be a video from the previous two weeks of class).
- Log into Canvas and go to the course page “SOC 119 MERGED – FA2017.
- Click on the “Assignments” tab on the left-hand side. Within the assignments tab you will find Video Response Assignments. Only the current week’s assignment/tab should be open.
- This is where you will post your own response to the video and see responses from your classmates.
- Once you’re in the discussion board, you won’t see any other responses from students. Just begin the process by hitting REPLY at the bottom.
- Type your response (or paste it from another platform) and include the link or media to the video in your post so it will be easier for people to know what you’re responding to. You can just insert the Url from YouTube.
- When you’re finished typing or pasting in your response, hit Post Reply at the bottom. Again, we suggest typing it on some platform and then pasting it into Canvas so you don’t accidentally lose it.
- Remember, you want your response to be thoughtful and include your personal thoughts, opinions, comments and so on. YOUR RESPONSE MUST BE A MINIMUM OF 300 WORDS BUT NO MORE THAN 500.
If it’s not posted on Canvas by 11:59 pm on Sunday’s, we won’t accept it. No half credit. You either get it in on time or you don’t get the 6 points for that week’s assignment. Any technological issues are your responsibility—give yourself time to problem solve and get additional assistance if needed (Tech Tutors can help: http://techtutors.psu.edu/)
Check the gradebook in Canvas for feedback from your TAs regarding your assignments.
Each of your original posts is worth 4 points
Each response to a classmate is worth 2 points